Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Revolvy-evolvy-lution

I've noticed lately that my art hasn't really evolved in awhile, besides the whole sculpey thing. As and artist, I think one's art should always be growing and changing. Some of the artists I have encountered just stick to the same thing, because people like it, because it's easy. I would rather be challenged because if I'm not, I get bored. I obviously don't do my art so people will "like it" or I'd paint nice pictures of pretty girls instead of the plump and sometimes ugly people I do paint. I just see things this way and don't think I should paint something "nice" because there's beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty. I'd like to start painting things in a new way, whether new characters pop out of my head, or perhaps I'll try a new surface (though my dad just made me tons of lovely panels to paint on, so I should probably use those first). I want to depict more what's in my head. Darker things, but not just to be darkish, just more accurately translate from what my imagination sees. Those who aren't really close to me don't think of me as having a dark side because I'm always dressed all pink and fluffy with lots of bows and ruffles. Those who do, know that I can be pretty sick. Not just in a dark-sidey spooky way, but poop is funny and so are giant ladies with rat-tails dangling on the backs of their roly-poly heads. I enjoy gawkinesss, geekishness and freaks. Love the circus freaks. They're so special and interesting, not only their abnormalities, but the lives the lead in the circus and in great wealth they obtained for their oddness. Perhaps I will do a really graphic freak series. I have some sketches already, but I'd like to turn those into really detailed and intense paintings. Alright I think I have gone on long enough on this topic for now and it probably won't make sense when I re-read it so I'm going to stop myself here. Also, this below image isn't anything along the lines of the above statements, but just something I drew last night that I enjoy.

No comments: